In 2015, I released my first book, and started an imprint with my friend (and now editor-in-chief) David Carol.
I had no idea what was in store.
I knew I would feel proud and accomplished, and I hoped I would be happy with the book.
I had a pretty good idea that I would be supported by friends and family - the same people who support me no matter what I do.
I had no idea what it would feel like to receive such support from my photo community.
Peanut Press loves a list, so here is a list of some of the unexpected things that happened 2015:
1. Charth Vader (the book) sold out in 2 weeks. That was crazy. Did that really happen? (Limited editions still available here!)
2. People shared my work! As photographers, there’s a protocol we follow for work we like - if your receive something in the mail - a book, or a print, photograph it and share it on fb. If you read an interesting interview about a photographer whose work you love, we share it. It helps our friends find a wider audience. I share work all the time, but I didn’t realize that people would do it for me, or how touched I would be each and every time.
3. Driving Charlie to school in the morning, and getting a call asking if I would be interviewed for the news. Fortunately I wasn’t wearing pajamas. Unfortunately, I wasn’t exactly put together, either. Time to up my game in carpool fashion.
4. Shipping is a lot of work. Be careful what you wish for.
5. Elizabeth Avedon’s Top 10 list!
6. People passed my work on to people who write articles!
7. People wrote articles about the book!
8. The nice messages and email I received about my work. I will never again hesitate to tell another photographer how much I like their work.
9. The number of poop jokes you can sneak into the branding of a company.
10. How grateful I would feel about all of it.
It was a big year, and there’s more in store for 2016. We want to make more books - the kind of books that we like to see, with work that we feel strongly is worthy of attention. We can’t wait to tell you what we have planned. Stay tuned!
To my friends, family, and fellow photographers, I want to thank you for all the unexpected surprises in 2015. It means more to me than you know.
Wishing you unexpected surprises in 2016.
founder, Peanut Press Books